Today, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) publishes the following two updated Guidelines to support Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) in their implementation of the 2021 International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI) , which came into force on 1 January 2021.
- Guidelines for Implementing an Effective Testing Program
- Guidelines for Gathering Information and Sharing Intelligence
These Guidelines are additional to the Guidelines for Sample Collection Personnel and Guidelines for Sample Collection that were published on 9 February 2021 .
The four Guideline documents have been updated to align with the 2021 ISTI requirements; and also, to offer more practical examples for ADOs implementing effective testing and intelligence programs. While the four documents are currently available in English only, the French versions will follow in the coming weeks.
The Guidelines can be found on WADA’s website and on the Agency’s Anti-Doping Education and Learning platform (ADEL) as part of the Code Implementation Support Program (CISP) . The Guidelines are accompanied by a number of operational templates and checklists for ADOs to use, which are also available on ADEL, including:
- Checklist: Risk Assessment
- Template: International Federation (and Major Event Organization) Risk Assessment & Test Distribution Plan (TDP)
- Template: National Anti-Doping Organization (NADO) Risk Assessment & TDP
- Template: Policy for Sample Retention and Further Analysis Strategy
- Template: Registered Testing Pool (RTP) Inclusion Notice
- Template: RTP Inclusion Notice – Whereabouts to Other ADO
- Template: Testing Pool (TP) Inclusion Notice
- Template: RTP or TP Removal Notice
- Checklist: Planning an Effective Testing Program
- Template: Policy for Gathering Anti-Doping Intelligence
- Checklist: How to Comply with Article 11 of the ISTI (Intelligence)
In addition to the above templates and checklists, we encourage all stakeholders to visit ADEL for many other useful resources such as webinars, presentations, guides and more.
WADA Guidelines provide Code Signatories with recommended practices for several aspects of anti-doping programs. While they are not mandatory, they offer technical guidance to ADOs in the implementation of their anti-doping programs. As with all Guidelines under the World Anti-Doping Program, these documents are subject to ongoing review.
Should you have any questions or feedback regarding the Guidelines or other resources related to the 2021 ISTI, please contact WADA’s Standards and Harmonization Department at: SandH@wada-ama.org
Thank you and best regards,
World Anti-Doping Agency